On 25.December.2015, Turkish Management Sciences Institute (TÜSSİDE) of Scientific and Technological Research Council of Turkey (TÜBİTAK) and Union of Turkey Seed Growers (TÜRKTOB) sign an agreement to develop the National Strategies for the Seed Sector. TÜSSİDE will lead the project which has planned to be completed in 16 months.
The main goal of the project is to contribute to the development of the seed sector in Turkey by improving innovation culture and developing effective strategies to increase production, productivity, exports, usage areas, added value, the regional and international competitive power of Turkey through actions that will ensure the applicability of these strategies.
A technical committee of 25 experts has been formed for this project. The experts of the technical committee have been selected based on their expertise from the seed sector, public institutions and academicians from universities. Technical committee gets together periodically about the studies and analyzes in the scope of the project.
In addition to this committee, workshops, surveys and individual interviews have been conducted with relevant stakeholders in the industry. Along with Union of Turkey Seed Growers (TÜRKTOB); sub sectors of seed growers have been analyzed such as plant breeders, sapling manufacturers, ornamental plants producers, seedling growing, seed growers, seed distributors, seed industrialists and producers.
Within the scope of the project, TÜBİTAK TÜSSİDE has provided consultancy on the below issues;
- In the framework of carrying out Sector’s Current Situation Analysis;
- SWOT Analysis,
- Regulation and Support Systems Analysis,
- Stakeholder Analysis,
- Competitiveness Analysis and
- Needs Analysis
- Analysis of strategies and regulation of successful or competitive countries in Seed growing
- Setting goals with sector’s vision and properly creation of logical framework
- Analysis of international seed trade, production and consumption trends
- Identification of competitive areas for development of regulations, politics and supports related to seed sector
- Evaluation of sector’s current situation and setting “Seed Sector Strategy Document” on the basis of the needs of the sector